Dental Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Your Costa Rica dentist wants you to receive the best possible care and to feel comfortable and safe during your dental care. As a dental patient in Costa Rica, we want you to be aware of your rights. We also want you to be aware of your responsibilities to keep yourself safe and healthy during your dental care in Costa Rica. Being an informed dental patient means knowing what you can expect from your Costa Rica dentist and dental care team. It also means understanding your role and responsibilities in support of their efforts to provide you with quality dental care.
The rights and responsibilities listed below do not establish legal entitlements. They do not create new standards of care. Instead, these patient rights and responsibilities are meant to guide dental patients in Costa Rica through the development of a successful and collaborative dentist-patient relationship.
- You have a right to choose your own Costa Rica dental clinic or dentist.
- You have a right to know the education and training of your dentist and the dental care team, as well as the accreditation and certification status of your chosen Costa Rica dental clinic and individual dental specialists.
- You have a right to arrange to see the dentist every time you receive dental treatment.
- You have a right to adequate time to ask questions and receive answers regarding your dental condition and recommended dental treatment plan.
- You have the right to know the recommendation proposed by your Costa Rica dental team. You also have the right to ask for alternative treatment options.
- You have a right to an explanation of the purpose, probable short- and long-term results, alternative and risks involved and estimated pricing before consenting to a proposed treatment plan.
- You have a right to be informed of continuing heath care needs necessitated by accepting the proposed treatment plan.
- You have a right to know in advance the estimated cost of treatment.
- You have a right to accept, postpone or decline any part of your treatment recommendations.
- You have a right to receive considerate, respectful and confidential treatment by your Costa Rica dentist and dental team.
- You have a right to expect the dental team members to employ appropriate infection and sterilization controls.
- You have a right to inquire about processes to mediate disputes about your treatment.
- You have the responsibility to provide accurate, honest and complete information about your medical history and current general health and oral health status.
- You have the responsibility to report changes in your medical status and provide feedback about your needs and expectations to your chosen Costa Rica dentist.
- You have the responsibility to participate in your health care decisions and ask questions if you are uncertain about your dental treatment or plan.
- You have the responsibility to inquire about your treatment options and acknowledge the benefits and limitations of any treatment that you choose.
- You have the responsibility for consequences resulting from declining treatment or from not following the agreed upon treatment plan.
- You have the responsibility to keep your scheduled appointments.
- You have the responsibility to be available for treatment upon reasonable notice.
- You have the responsibility to adhere to oral health care recommendations. You have the responsibility for consequences resulting from not following the agreed upon care recommendations.
- You have the responsibility to make payment in full for your dental treatments in Costa Rica.
- You have the responsibility to bear all costs associated with travel to and from your dental care in Costa Rica.
(Some information has been excerpted from the ADA website to ensure compliance with international standards.)